The Colorado Black Health Collaborative would like to share this recipe with you.
we hope you have some time off during Christmas or new years so you can try this recipe.
This Delicious Winter Chili Recipe Makes 10 servings.
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 6 1/4-9 1/4 hours
Black beans, earthy mushrooms and tangy tomatillos combine with a variety of spices and smoky chipotles to create a fantastic full-flavored chili. It can simmer in the slow cooker all day, which makes it perfect for a healthy supper when the end of your day is rushed.
- 1 pound dried black beans
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom seeds
- 2 medium onions
- 1 pound mushrooms
- 8 ounces tomatillos
- 1/4 cup water
- 51/2 cups mushroom broth
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1-2 tablespoons minced canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 1/4 cups grated Monterey Jack
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 limes
- Soak beans overnight in 2 quarts water. (Alternatively, place beans and 2 quarts water in a large pot. Bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 1 hour.) Drain the beans, discarding soaking liquid.
- Combine oil, mustard seeds, chili powder, cumin and cardamom in a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven. Place over high heat and stir until the spices sizzle, about 30 seconds. Add onions, mushrooms, tomatillos and water. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are juicy, 5 to 7 minutes. Uncover and stir often until the juices evaporate and the vegetables are lightly browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Add broth, tomato paste and chipotles; mix well.
- Place the beans in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Pour the hot vegetable mixture over the beans. Turn heat to high. Put the lid on and cook until the beans are creamy, 5 to 8 hours.
- Garnish each serving with cheese, a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
- Stove-top Variation:
- Total: 4 1/2 hours
- In Step 2, increase broth to 81/2 cups. Omit Step 3. Add the beans to the Dutch oven; cover and simmer the chili gently over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the beans are creamy to bite, about 3 hours.
TIPS & NOTES
Chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce are smoked jalapeños packed in a flavorful, spicy sauce. Look for the small cans with Mexican foods at large supermarkets. Once opened, they’ll keep for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator or 6 months in the freezer.
Tomatillos are tart, plum-size fruits that look like small, green tomatoes covered by a parchment-like husk. They can be used raw but cooking enhances the flavor and softens the tough outer skin. Remove husks and rinse well before using.
Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
5- to 6-quart slow cooker
Per serving: 306 calories; 40 g carbohydrates; 10 g fat (4 g sat, g mono); 18 g protein; 20 mg cholesterol; 13 g dietary fiber; 735 mg potassium; 415 mg sodium. Nutrition bonus: Fiber (52% daily value), Folate (47% dv), Iron (22% dv), Potassium (21% dv).
Tune in next week for a recap on how CBHC spent 2019 and what we will be doing in 2020.